Sunday, September 13, 2009

Why are Haitians so serious?

As an American I grew up in a society that taught children at a very young age to say "cheese" when someone was taking their picture.  I also think Americans love children who are 'hams' in front of any kind of camera, so one might think it is only natural to assume that children all over the world are taught the same thing.  In the word of the friend Vince, "FALSE."  A Haitian of any age might be rolling on the ground weeping from laughing so hard but as soon as you pull a camera out they appear to be having the worse day ever.  I have no idea why this is, except I am told that culturally Haitians believe serious photos are my attractive. Take the below photos as just a few examples of this I have gathered since my arrival.



Emotional State:  since I am doing several posts in one sitting, I would say still refreshed

Goal: to make more Haitians want to smile

1 comment:

  1. ha. I LOVE this. That little boy on the first photo especially looks miserable! Please bring home smiley pictures of Haitians. Oh, and i LOVE the photos in general. I feel like i know where u are now! :)
    I miss u!!

    ReplyDelete