Saturday, September 12, 2009

I will talk to you, riaghta?

Ok so most kids inevitable succumb to the desire to have money and get a summer job. Personally, my summer jobs have ranged from full time nanny, to helping my mom around the house, to working at a bookstore, to a receptionist at my mother-in-law's massage business.  Some of them I have loved and some of them not so much, but I can remember how thrilling it felt to be a little financial independent from my parents.

In Haiti having a job is more about being able to survive than it is about having some extra
cash in your pocket for the movies.  The mindset is completely different.  This summer the Mission House had three teenagers, Giles, Jerry, and Hegeur, come to help us out, like a summer job.  They would clean, cook, organize, make phone calls, run errands, etc. Were they the hardest workers?  No, but were you at 17? Not to mention they were getting only $30US every two weeks. I think for the amount they were getting paid and for what they were doing, no American teenager would have every signed up for that job.  I would also not be surprised if they shared their small wage with the rest of their family.  It just shows me again and again how little Americans know about sharing and sacrificing for another.

With the comparison to my past summer jobs aside, these three teenagers were such a joy to have around.  
They were helpful and patient with my kreyol and always wanted to talk about the differences between Haiti and the US.  They even had different english phrases the knew that they loved to say.  One of them was "I will talk to you, riaghta" and they would also put this ridiculous emphasis on right.  I do not know why, but every time they would say it all three would laugh so hard. I do think a fascination wi
th the US is a natural thing in Haiti, but for Giles, Jerry, and Heguer it has bigger significance.  Over ten years ago, a couple from the US names Steve and Katharine Smith adopted their youngest brother Joey.  Steve Smith happens to be on the board at Haitian Ministries and has made a commitment to help Joey's biological family in any way he can. The Smith's last summer even brought Joey back to Haiti for the first time to meet his biological family.  I believe the visit was a very positive experience for everyone as whenever Giles, Jerry, or Hegeur mention Joey, they seem to have a sense of pride relating to his new life in the US.

The youth of Haiti inspires me as they are able to maintain their childish innocence and enthusiasm for life against the hardship of poverty.  And instead of being resentful of the life their brother Joey has, they are proud of him and speak highly of the Smiths.  I have learned a lot from them and hope that even with school starting on Monday that they will still find time to visit.

Emotional State: happy

Goal: to be more grateful for the things and people in my life.

1 comment:

  1. Love it J-dog. Miss you! Glad you're doing well down there!

    ReplyDelete