Sunday, September 13, 2009

Something I have learned...

The main reason I moved to Haiti was because I got a job here, but a secondary reason was to have an adventure where I would undoubtedly learn a lot about myself.  One thing that has come up while I have been in Haiti, which is not necessarily something I would define as significant on the road to self discovery, is my complete obsession with baby animals.  I love them.  I cannot get enough of them and if there is a chance they might be homeless I always suggest will bring them back to the Mission house.

First example, on the way to Mother Theresa's Children's Hospital Enock and I were stuck in traffic and when I looked out my passenger side window I noticed the smallest baby goats I have ever seen grazing in a garbage heap.  They were so cute, sorry this was before my camera was up and running, and I naturally concluded since they were eating garbage that they must be abandon.  When I mentioned this to Enock, he laughed saying, "of course they had a home and that the mission house did not have enough land to raise goats." Strike one.

About 10 days later, Frank came to visit and we got the chance to go with my friend Mari Ange to her home in a ravine slum close to where I live (WARNING: if you also read my husband's blog than this story is a repeat as he got around to writing about it first). On the way back, we stumbled upon a teeny, tiny white kitten that just had two dots of caramel coloring on it's face.  It was so precious.  We have been talking about getting a cat at the mission house in order to solve our rodent problem, so what did I do?  I picked it up and called Elizabeth to ask if I could bring it home.  What ended up happening when Elizabeth got on the phone with Mari Ange it was discovered that the kitten did indeed have a home and once again everyone had a big laugh at my hasty assumption.  Unfortunately, I did not have my camera with me, so I am unable to post of picture of the kitten.

Over the weekend, I was surrounded by baby animals: goats, chickens, turkeys, and puppies. I discussed with Elizabeth, who really wants to start a small farm at the mission house, about bringing any or all of them home.  I was not serious about most of them, but with the recent passing of Sheba, one of our dogs, getting a new companion for Tamar, our remaining dog, has been discussed.  Thus I petted and cooed over all the puppies of varying size for the last 24 plus hours. 


I wanted a female one since we already have a female dog and are not interested in breeding.  After some discussion on whether this was even allowed, since Emily my boss is not a big dog fan, Elizabeth asked Pere Trissant if we could take on of the smaller puppies.  He said they were two small, but that I could pick any from the older litter.  Unfortunately, the ones left were all males, so my plan to bring another baby animal back to the Mission House was foiled once again. 

Emotional state:  missing the puppies, but looking forward to the kittens were are suppose to get on Tuesday from a friend.

Goal: to still get a friend for Tamar.

No comments:

Post a Comment