Sunday, September 13, 2009

Giving a chair to the enemy

There are some things in life that are constant.  No matter how many changes their life goes through, such as moving to a different country, certain things will remain the same.  For me one of those things is an over healthy love of American football.  NFL or college, if it is on very little else matters.  I think one of the hardest things about moving to Haiti when I did is that I left just in time to miss the new NFL and college season.  I cannot even express how I feel knowing the first regular season games for both started this weekend I have been unable to watch a second of them. Anyway, trying to keep my bitterness to minimum, I was proud of myself for giving my seat up at church for a father and his son with a certain shirt on that rubbed me the wrong way...


Ugh, can you believe it that the freaking Michigan Wolverines followed me to Haiti?  It is worse enough they exist in the US, but to have to think about the traitor Rich Rodriguez in Haiti is absolutely ridiculous.  However, I do believe I rose above it all by standing during Mass while this man and his son were able to share my chair quite comfortably.  I did chuckle at the rise of competitive emotions I felt towards this man, who I am 99% sure has no idea what his shirt actually means or stands for.  To make matters worse, when I got home this afternoon and was still thinking about the t-shirt I found out that Michigan upset Notre Dame 38-34.  Not that I care two goudes about Notre Dame, but to be faced with the reality that Rodriguez might make a coaching comeback after a piss poor showing last season made me nausea.  OMG, are you ready for some football?  I certainly am!

Emotional State: exhausted from blogging, I hope you all appreciate this.

Goal: to find a sports bar in PAP that carries NFL or college games.

5 comments:

  1. ...I couldn't give two goudes about Michigan! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL You crack me up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill, just noticed the slideshow running on your blog's home page, how new is this? Are these photos you've taken recently, I don't recognize any of them. Very nice addition! Don't suppose you could have some kompa playing too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jillian,
    I have just found your blog and read it front to back and laughed and cried the whole way through. What an adventure you are on; and I am not surprised. You move with such grace in the world, any country is lucky to have you. I miss you, and reading your words makes me think of all the adventures I had with you! Keep being you, because that is the best gift to Haiti.
    I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate it, Jillian!! You're as hilarious a writer as you were a desk mate :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog! Frank forwarded it to me and I caught up on your trip. keep it up - please!!! :) I hope you're enjoying yourself.
    Tehan

    ReplyDelete