Sunday, September 13, 2009

My First Trip to the Haitian Countryside

This past Saturday I left the noisy, overcrowded, smog filled streets of Port-au-Prince for the mountain side community of Grand Boulage, which the newest twin parish Haitian Ministries has added to their list.  I was definitely not sure if I wanted to go, because after a long week a 3 hour drive to the country did not sound all that appealing.  However, I convinced myself to go since it is technically part of my job.  

Elizabeth and I arrived at Grand Boulage around 3 in the afternoon and were greeted by an excited Pere Trissant and a welcome cooler climate.  I was amazed by my surroundings and I relished in the fresh air and tranquil setting.  I never knew Haiti could look like this.


I was thrilled to see something different than just the poverty of PAP.  I am sure in a lot of ways people within the community of Grand Boulage are poorer than those in PAP, but the
mentality of the people in the country and the surroundings give the poverty there a different feel.  I am sure my view may be slightly skewed as I spent most of the weekend at church, which seems to be a place Haitians go to release their suffering and rejoice in the blessings they do have.  It is these emotions along with the tangible, unwavering faith most Haitians seem to possess makes the 4 hour long mass worth while. It is definitely something everyone should witness at least once.  This past weekend certainly painted my own lack of faith in a new light.

Emotional State:  refreshed
Goal: to get a country house in Haiti
 

No comments:

Post a Comment